In the UK we buy more than 80 million boxed chocolate eggs each year at Easter, generating 4,370 tonnes of card waste and costing around £299 million*.
Here are some simple tips to help us reduce our impact and green-up our Easter.
- Choose eggs with less packaging or invest in a mould and make your own.
- Crumple up all that foil and put it in your recycling bin instead of sending it to landfill.
- a few days before you leave for your long weekend save the excess food in your fridge and either make it/freeze it/eat it or give it to locals for them to use through a service like Olio.
- If you have too many eggs from family and friends and you are not keen on encouraging childhood obesity (!) you can also share the love with neighbours through Olio
- If you’re making boiled eggs, water your plants with the cooled water you boiled them in. The calcium-rich liquid will give them an easter treat as well*.
Such simple ideas can have a massive effect on our collective future.
Happy Easter all!